Master and Slave terminology

LA County has requested that equipment manufacturers change the “Master/Slave” terminology for stuff like hard drives and projection systems.

interesting

0 Responses to Master and Slave terminology

Yeah, I’ve heard of people getting upset about terminology like ‘master bedroom’ and ‘walk-in closet’ too (some people can’t). Those actually make more sense than this one. The reason the computer example is so stupid is that it shows an ignorance of the fact that slavery actually was implemented before the colonization of America and that historically slaves have come from every part of the world, not just Africa. Through the years whites have enslaved whites, blacks have enslaved blacks, etc. There is nothing inherently racial about a master/slave relationship. It just happens that our short American history has left a mental block that slavery is a black/white issue. It’s irritating when poorly informed, self righteous individuals get to make the rules.

I didn’t see it so much as a racial issue as a right/wrong issue…that they think the terminology supports slavery in general, not racism.

Based on the cultural diversity and sensitivity of Los Angeles County, this is not an acceptable identification label.
    -I understand what you mean, but this is their given reason.

4. Andrew says:

I freely admit that being white, I have never been the brunt of overt racism. But it’s a hard drive, not a person…seems more than a wee bit overboard. Think what could be done if a similarly critical eye was turned to something significant–that’s the sad part, really, that the zeal is misdirected.

I’m still trying to think of alternate terminology. It couldn’t be anything that would designate one hard drive as being any less in importance, status or position than the other. Perhaps we could call them Very Important Hard Drive and Other Very Important Hard Drive Which is Equal in Nature, Value and Capacity yet in a Position that is Different
    Any other name suggestions?

6. sarah says:

Primary and secondary? I don’t find it that difficult.

Only the confusion that comes because in computers there are primary and secondary controllers already (Billy and I already joked about this confusing some people). But most technical people (the only people who should really have to worry about master/slave anyway) would have no problem saying, “The primary drive on the primary controller” or “The primary drive on the secondary controller and so on”. I’m sure someone will come up with something and we’ll go with it. Fine with me.