Bush's space plan

I went out to do some reading to find out why the push for space. This article says some stuff I didn’t know about the budgeting and progress. Personally, I don’t really care about us being in space at all, except for earth satellites. What about you?

interesting

6 Responses to Bush's space plan

1. Josh says:

I’m all for some space exploration. Who knows what we could find out there that could improve life here. I don’t think we should dump all our money there, but i think it’s a good idea to work towards it.
    I’d also advocate more exploration of our seas. From my understanding, our oceans are a virtually untapped resource full of creatures and survival techniques we can’t imagine.

2. Josh says:

Okay derek, lets start Ben’s other discussion somewhere, i want to hear more about this, “First thing Bush has done right”. 😉

3. Jeremy says:

I won’t get into the Bush debate unless there’s a whole thread for it. Pretty strong feelings there… but I think we should explore space for the same reason that we should create literature, music, and art. The same reason we fall in love when it doesn’t make sense or isn’t practical. It’s part of what makes us human and not machines – the willingness to struggle to succeed at things that aren’t safe and practical. The need to know and understand is what inspires individuals (not just the individuals involved but everyone) to strive for greatness. If we don’t “reach for the stars” we’ll have a generation inspired by mediocrity.

I thought maybe a post on politics might prove to me whether or not people are checking my site quietly or not checking at all. I’ll start up a new blog entry just for this. But, as far as the space exploration goes…It’s not that I think we shouldn’t be out there…maybe…I just don’t know how far we should go (financially) to be out there. Seems to me there are lots of places that need billions of dollars right now…I just started thinking about it a lot last night, so I still have a mold-able mind about it…I was just looking for input. Thanks for the input.

5. Ben says:

I’m all for this announcement. In fact, I think its about the first thing Bush has done right. (but thats another discussion) Its about time somebody pulled a JFK again and set the bar high. The only way to reap big rewards is to take big chances. The schedule here is pretty aggressive, but it sounds like the goal is to create a versitle class of ships that can be used for quite a range of exploration missions. But still, it remains to be seen if anything will come of this mandate.

6. Ben says: