The Passion of The Christ

Are you going to see it? What do you think about it?

0 Responses to The Passion of The Christ

1. Jeremy says:

I want to see it, but I’m torn. On the other hand I don’t want to see it just because of all the hub-bub about it. Crissies are so hyped about it that I’m automatically skeptical. I’m sure that as soon as it starts people will start telling me that I HAVE to watch it and that it’s the best movie EVER, regardless of whether it’s any good, because it’s their values up on the screen. I’ll wait for the reviews.

I’m going to see it, but I’ll more than likely keep low about it. I follow Jeremy’s “crissie” logic. In fact, I was called this AM by a company that will remain nameless wanting to sell me greeting cards with lyrics from the most popular (and usually most unscriptural) worship songs accompanied with inspirational scripture for every occasion. Christian capitalism….sorry for the caveat. But as far as the film goes, I’m looking forward to it. I would say that Mr. Gibson is far from being a Crissie, so regardless of what exploitations of the film occur they won’t negate the quality of the object, simply because the object was not neccessarily made for marketing purposes.

3. Josh says:

I look foward to hearing the latin, hebrew/aramaic, and greek being spoken. Originally they were not going to use subtitles, but it looks like they chickened out on that one.

4. Sarah Lidbom says:

I’m excited.
    I think the movie is more than just an attempt at a Hollywood Blockbuster. I’m sure that would be cool for Mel, but I’m pretty sure that he just wanted to put his faith up on the screen. I think the movie will spark conversation and controversy, leading people to Christ and I think that at the very least, it will be an introduction to the gospel for a very unchurched culture.
    I know that most of the people that read this blog are from the Bible Belt and are skeptical of “Crissies” and tired of hypocrisy and sick of dead faith… and so on. I can fully understand that, even only having been in these parts for 4 years. But, having grown up without much church and knowing that this film will help reach the places that are similar to my hometown, I am excited. I hope it will open doors for my family to get saved. And my old friends.

People are only psyched because of the huge impact this movie could possibly have. Not because they think it will be the best movie ever.

5. Jeremy says:

Yeah, I can see that. I’m a little jaded because of where I work. They literally invented “Compassionate Conservatism.” It’s interesting, though, how people tend to assume that a movie about Christ will draw people to their particular version of Christianity. Mel, being Catholic in belief in most senses of the word, could possibly lead a mass exodus of people “home to Rome.” I’m not saying he will or that he’s put a Catholic spin on things; I have no idea. But wouldn’t it be interesting…

I have no idea how compassionate conservatism plays into all this, but I have more of an idea what it is thanks to this site:

7. Jeremy says:

It was a term coined by Marvin Olasky, the academic, journalist, and supporter of religious-right, conservative causes extraordinaire.

8. Josh says:

Mel Gibson will be doing a radio interview with James Dobson Monday night, Feb 22 at 9pm. This will be Gibson’s only radio interview concerning the movie.

I’m interested to see this movie if it’s as biblically accurate as I’ve been told. If it does stick to the text, I’m not sure how much it could be spun. As far as the impact of the movie, the one thing I hope happens is that people will be confronted with the crucifixion of Jesus in a historical context. For those who believe in a loving God, a realization of the brutality of the crucifixion should raise some questions.

I heard the second half of the radio interview. It’s funny because the Dobson crowd is really behind him on this, but Mel is still Mel. He’s still Hollywood and everything else. It’s interesting that his making of this movie makes some of these conservative groups think that makes him their new spokesman. The cool thing is that he’s not caught up in all the new attention, and to me that says more about his commitment to the project. The best though was the way the interview ended. Dobson gushed about his excitement for the movie and his desire to see Mel hear from God about what his next project would be. Dobson then thanked him for being on the show and wished him blessings. Mel’s response: Cheers.

11. Jeremy says:

It’ll be interesting if the next movie Mel does is another Lethal Weapon type thing.

12. James says:

So I guess most of those who are excited about seeing the movie have either seen it or made plans to see it. I myself, have seen it and have mixed feelings. Whatever my feelings about the movie are, I have the following advice/comments (directly principally at those of us who would call themselves a Believer):
    1) I wouldn’t see the movie merely on curiousity alone. (curiousity may however be an excellent reason for a non-believer to see it).
    2) It is not Scripture and should not be elevated to that level. Most of the creative license is appropriately dispensed in the movie. . . .but there is plenty of latitude taken with the text.
    3) On that note, take time to read the gospel accounts before you see the movie.
    4) If you see the movie, plan to comment on it purposefully. I can think of no greater waste than to see it and say nothing.
    5) When John penned his gospel he said that “these things are written so that you might believe that He is the Christ, and by believing, you might have life.” If there is great purpose in this movie it is this sentiment. . . . .that we might believe!
    6)Lastly, for those of us who already believe. . . .maybe we should ask the question: will this build my faith? If the answer is anything other than an unequivocal “yes” then don’t waste your time or money.

I chose to see it and am happy with my decision. . . . I will probably not see it twice. . . . .but I would encourage anyone to take the movie seriously, regardless of the hype.