Curious Math

Learn some cool tricks. Do you know how to take the square root of a number without a calculator?

for Sarah

This entry was posted in Old Blog and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to Curious Math

1. Sometimes, playing games is a waste of time. Like, when other things SHOULD be done. Other times, playing games is not a waste of time, depending on your interests.

Secondly, math rules. And that’s why I’m a math teacher and not a writer.

2. Josh says:

So, is math something God created or is it something universal that exists outside of God? Could he have created math differently?

3. Josh says:

Or is math cultural in that it could be understood in a different way than we do?
    Come on, the philosophy of math is where math gets exciting!

Philosophy of math seems pretty boring to me. I don’t know how far I can take it without it feeling like it’s not leading me anywhere. Maybe that’s because I’m gearing up for my mini-vacation. Maybe I’ll look at this next week and want to answer your questions.

In the meantime, here are some places math is exciting:
    –The BMW 745Li I drove yesterday is 27.4% more horsepower than my already-peppy MaximaI have 5 hours and 15 minutes left to work until I’m done for 115.5 hours

Hey Josh – I’ll bite
    Sure God could have made math different. If you call Him God, it shouldn’t be much of a question. Otherwise math would be God, and I’d be in trouble because I don’t love math (and hence wouldn’t love God).
    The thing I wonder about is what else would have to change in order for Math to work differently? As far as I can tell, Math is simply descriptive of quantitative relationships. I don’t know whether God specifically crafted math to be the way that it is, or if it is the consequence of finding cool numeric relationships that exist by nature of his creation. Either way, He owns it.
    The other curious thing to think about is what mathematical relationships exists that haven’t been discovered? I would expect there to be plenty given our Creator’s creativity and complexity.

6. Josh says:

I agree, although many would not (that God could not have made math any different). I may be a bit postmodern in saying that even math is a social construct.

I can understand how mathematical procedures would classify as a social construct, but what about mathematical relationships? Are they present and true regardless of evaluation?

8. El Gray says:

First, playing video games is NOT a waste of time.

Second, math is hard, therefore, I’m a writer.