Refrigerated oven?

Whirlpool has a new oven that will keep your foods refrigerated until it’s programmed to cook them. The little coolness factor doesn’t surpass the wastefulness to me.

Surprised it made it past the concepting

12 Responses to Refrigerated oven?

How lazy are we? Seriously.

2. What part of this is laziness?

Lazy: I’ll let Scott answer.

Wasteful: I already have a fridge…

I guess I just don’t need the added convenience in my life of being unburdened from the chore of moving a casserole dish from the refrigerator to the oven. Perhaps others are so pressed for time that they do.

I talked to an appliance repairman today, and, in his words (with a very thick country accent):

“The more horns and bells you put on it, more likely it is to have something break.”

Classic. It’s cool to hear a colloquialism that is so similar yet distinct that you wonder if it wasn’t the original.

6. Chris Bitsas says:

My oven has a timer on it just like that. Leslie and I don’t fret about uncooked food sitting in the unrefrigerated oven all day. Because it gets cooked!

While I’m generally really careful about spoiled food (or the possibility of it), I know many people that would have no problem sitting raw chicken out all day and then cooking it and eating it. They never seem to get sick.

8. Chris Bitsas says:

160 degrees. Not much that will make you pooh can survive that. Hey a new boy band, and 62 times better.

If 160 will kill whatever, why do we refrigerate? Why have sell by dates on food? So it won’t taste bad? :-D…really though, I’d like to know more about this, because anything you get from the government (as far as research/numbers) is so conservative it’s of almost no use.

10. Chris Bitsas says:

The reason i mention this is because of my commercial kitchen experience. There are all these government posters about what kinds of bacteria can survive at what temperatures. 160 was the magic number.

Yeah…and that frustrates me…because I don’t know anyone who cooks chicken to that temperature…it’s so dry if I cook mine that long. The texture seems to change at about 135 or so (from pink slime to white fiber).

If it has a timer and you can set it so that dinner is ready when you get home instead of waiting 15 minutes for it to preheat and an hour for whatever to cook, then it seems cool to me if you’re the type who gets home like at 7 and starting something in the oven at that point is just silly. but i get your point. i doubt many use it for its intended purposes long…