Why do chips and crackers get stale?

I haven’t googled for it yet, but, seriously, do any of you guys know why chips and crackers get stale so quickly when left out in the open air?

This entry was posted in Food. Bookmark the permalink.

0 Responses to Why do chips and crackers get stale?

Probably does…that was my thought…What about water?Why does it taste so bad after sitting around for a day?:-D

2. Chris Bitsas says:

I thought it had something to do with absorbing moisture from the air.

3. Jon Wright says:

Great terminology Josh 😉

I thought it had something to do with absorbing crap from the air.

Any suggestions for less crude, but equally as colorful terminology?

6. Jon Wright says:

I thought your choice of words was humorous. No suggestions that would get your point across in quite the same way. You could say bacteria, etc., but I don’t think that is as “colorful”. I would think it would be from the moisture more than the crap…but what do i know? I googled this to find a reason for the staleness of chips, but I can’t come up with anything. You stumped the world Derek, congrats.

I was answering Derek’s second question…moisture may not have the same impact on the freshness of chips as it does the freshness of water…

8. They’re made to go stale, out of pure corporate greed. Knowing that the typical American, myself included, will on average leave a bag of chips open an average of twice a month, they use this as a chance to increase demand by fostering a system whereby the supply gets used up faster than would normally be the case. I mean, come on, it’s 2005. You gonna tell me they can’t make a chip that doesn’t go stale? Or a soda that doesn’t go flat? Let’s not kid ourselves. And if that’s not bad enough, ever try sealing up an opened baggy of saltine crackers so the air doesn’t get to them? Good luck with that one. It’s greed, i tell ya.

That is one of the funnier things I’ve read recently. Well done Frankie.Does the foil hat hurt your head when you sleep?:-D

10. sarah says:

i’m scared that frankie is serious. he is quite liberal.

That doesn’t sound liberal to me; just good critical thinking about the flagrant abuse of capitalism present in today’s society.:-D

12. “i’m scared that frankie is serious.”{wink}You can never be too liberal. That’s my motto.

13. Chris Bitsas says:

“the flagrant abuse of capitalism present in today’s society.”Well done indeed

They can’t stay in business long if no one buys the made-to-go-stale cookies/crackers/chips./flamebait

It’s like lightbulbs…they could make them to last nearly forever. It seems like everywhere you look someone is thinking of something that REQUIRES some sort of renewal (Swiffer, toilet scrubbies, lotion in your razor, antivirus software…)

16. sarah says:

because americans are stupid and lazy. and mostly stupid.

17. Frankie at work. says:

“you can quote me on your site as long as you don’t put your liberal slant on it (if it’s possible to slant that…)….”But your statement, in and of itself, IS my liberal slant. But you knew that. As far as Easter, i guess i was just….ahem…cough cough….having too much fun.

18. sarah at home says:

i did know that. some conservatives are smrt. 🙂

19. sarah says:

you can quote me on your site as long as you don’t put your liberal slant on it (if it’s possible to slant that…)….my family will travel an infinity miles to see me ONLY AFTER i have travelled the same span a numerous amount of times and have earned the trip. i had save some UPC symbols and do some other tasks to pull this one out. could be that the weather is great too. if you have a party and buy them food and stuff, they’ll come. try it.:)

20. sarah says:

ps. mom says: why didn’t you go to gramps and carolyn’s on easter???

21. “because americans are stupid and lazy. and mostly stupid.”Can i quote you on my site? By the way, how come it is that my family will travel a bazzillion miles to visit you, but won’t travel 30 miles to visit me? A guy could get a complex, you know.