Pet Peeve

Today a girl in an Eclipse in front of me threw her cigarette out of her window. I watched it slow (with the wind’s help) to 30mph, only to quickly accelerate back up to 65 as it hit my windshield. That irritated me a little more than normally just seeing someone throw a cigarette out of a window. It made me wonder:

Does smoking (the habit), as a general rule, make almost everyone who does it more inconsiderate with time? Seems to me, at first people probably try not to litter and try not to smoke around others, but, as the habit takes hold, it becomes more and more inconvenient to accomodate others’ desires (cleanliness, being able to breathe, etc.). What other habits are there that are like this? Am I being unfair in my judgement?

This entry was posted in Journal. Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to Pet Peeve

Interesting thought Derek. I know plenty of people who would quickly counter with the idea that since you/I don’t smoke, does that “habit” make almost everyone who does it more inconsiderate with time to those who do smoke? Is the logic valid that just as a smoker is imposing themselves on my boundaries, I impose myself on theirs. How are we using the terms “considerate” and “fair”? Here’s my pet peeve. Friday I had to brake excessively on my way home from work due to a large truck in front of me braking excessively. I was going to hit him, so I got in the emergency lane. When I got there, I saw a stopped tacoma pickup with two people standing behind it loading some sort of shrubbery type thing in the back, so to avoid hitting them I merged into the grass beside the highway. The only problem with that was that there was a steep embankment beside the highway.My brakes locked, I lost control of my truck, spun around clockwise, and upon reaching the bottom of the hill, rolled over onto the top of my truck. (so what’s my peeve?) The reason all the excessive braking began was because a fellow appx. 1/2-3/4 of a mile ahead was depressed because his wife had left him that afternoon, so he stopped on the side of the road, opened his door and walked out into traffic, resulting in his demise by a Penske Moving truck. So if it’s a relative issue, I’d rather have “inconsiderate” smokers throwing cigarette remains onto the highway than humans walking in front of traffic on the highway. So definitely, suicide by highway is another “inconsiderate” habit, depending on our definition of “fair”.

2. Jon Wright says:

I have had more “adults” interrupt me half way through a thought and I simply want to say what my parents told me, “dont interrupt an adult while he is speaking…even if you are going to pea in your pants” (my dad’s rendition). Apparently, the rules that we were subjected to from kindergarten through middle school are void after 18. Perhaps life is a habit that takes hold, but it becomes more and more inconvenient to accommodate others’ desires such as finishing a thought or having an intelligent conversation without interruptions. Perhaps as we go through life, things we knew were wrong we now justify because we become hardened to them (such as throwing fruits at the unknowing, though perhaps not innocent). Oh&would that be true of sin in a persons life? Hmmm&

3. sarah says:

who in the heck is gonna comment after that??just because people do MORE inconsiderate stuff doesn’t mean the little inconsiderate stuff is ok. that’s like — your sin is worse than my sin, so i’ll just keep it up.

Jon,Sorry about your truck. That stinks.However, I wouldn’t consider suicide a possible habit, by pure definition of a habit. Although you could argue that some cults can have a “habit” of suicide, that’s not what I was talking about.I don’t follow the counter argument that you propose those who smoke might make. How would not smoking make me “more inconsiderate with time to those who do smoke”?

Multiple follow-up:to sarah: “if it’s a RELATIVE issue…”I just think that “habitual” suicide is inconsiderate. :)to Derek: The argument I typically receive from pro-smokers is that the anti-smoking group imposes themselves upon the rights of smokers just as much as smokers imposing themselves on the rights of non-smokers. I just wonder if this is valid logic.”A smoking area in a restaurant is like a pee-ing area in a pool.”- Marti Mills (a student)

I wish the anti-smoking group imposed themselves as much as they’d like to. Then it might start to lean toward something valid. As it is, they just complain, and not usually to smokers, so I can’t say that I at all buy the idea that the smokers’ rights are being treaded on as much as the non-smokers.There’s a lot of gray here. Smoking can indeed cause health problems to those who breathe secondhand smoke. And, logically, I could cause health problems to someone who is addicted to cigarettes if I caused them not to smoke around me (withdrawal). But, stepping back from the conversation, I would say that is valid but not sound.Anyone want to cut to the quick?

7. El Gray says:

I eventually just started whipping the unwanted tomato slices from my bacon cheeseburgers back at the waitstaff.

8. Bitsas says:

I don’t see what the big deal is. I fart in restaurants all the time. Does that make me a bad person.

9. Chris Bitsas says:

I guess I should clarify that last post was me. Not the other Bitsas that regularly reads your site. Though the comment is probably not unexpected from either of us.

10. Chris Bitsas says:

You guys are both full of hot air.

11. Bitsas says:

thanks…the thought had “pass”ed through my mind, but I didn’t want to make “wind” of it. I slay myself…

12. Frankie at work. says:

Sorry. I was just a little “gassed” when i made that comment.

13. Frankie says:

We’ll just let this one “blow” over.

14. Frankie says:

Everytime this topic comes up, the first thing that pops into my head is the Steve Martin line from back in the day.Person A: “You mind if i smoke?”Person B: “You mind if i fart?”It was probably funnier when he said it.Rights aside, one thing that is inarguable is the rudeness factor. In spite of the fact that it seems to, for a long time now, be somewhat socially acceptable, smoking in someone’s presence is not a far cry from any one of a thousand other idiotic and inconsiderate things decent people refrain from doing on a given day. Like farting in a restaurant, for example.

15. Chris Bitsas says:

It’s cool. No need to “inflate” the situation.

Chris, you’re always inflated, ye lucky recipient of “The Gift”