Gas Price Increases

Do you think the increase in gas prices is as related to the hurricane as we would be led to believe?

12 Responses to Gas Price Increases

1. Dwight Ball says:

2. Dwight Ball says:

Something smells rotten and it isn’t the sulphur in the gas. Crude prices shot up to 70.85, still not a record, and settled back down to 69.90. These prices are set by panicked investors. If there was no oil the small amount left would be going for the price of gold. It would jump by the minute and not stop. Consider also that at peak the Gulf states produce about 2 million bbl a day. We have over 700 million bbl in reserve, almost a year’s worth. No my friends this is greed at its height. I concur that there are interruptions and that fluctuations are going to occur, but we are being played for fools.

Way to go Snopes…on top of the game…

I saw prices from $3.09-3.29 today…yikes

Well, it’s official. The gas stations nearest to us are out of gas. Funny though…they’ve all got diesel fuel. I thought, according to the internet experts (sense to tone), the diesel would be exhausted first?

6. Jon Wright says:

Do you wander why that is? Because of guys like the one 2 I saw today freaking out and filling up their 50ish gallon tanks…but I guess the gas sharks got what they wanted…

Thanks to Josh Street for what Governor Easley had to say about the gas shortage:
    I’m not asking anybody to panic. If I find out we need to panic, I’ll come back and tell you tomorrow.

8. Frankie says:

One interesting tidbit on Friday. The station down the street had gas at $3.09/gal as of 8 AM that morning. Then i drove by around noon and it was $3.89 – a spike of $0.80/gl. The local TV news had a story on it at 6:00, brought up the “price gouging” charge, and i drove by at about 7:30PM and it was back down to $3.59. In fairness, i’m not sure exactly when the price dropped back down, but still.

So the obvious question is, how does it spike from $3.09 to $3.89 and then drop back to $3.59 all in 11 hours? Doesn’t take a rocket scientist….

I hear rocket scientists might be out of jobs because of the gas prices…

Couldn’t resist.

10. Ben says:

I never thought I would be able to point at the East Coast and say “Well, at least our gas prices arent that high” :-/

11. Jon Wright says:

The radio said that prices should get back to normal soon–$2.90ish…normal…yea, 50 cents higher is “normal.”

Call your representatives if you want to let them know that you are not happy about the obvious price gouging. You can find your representatives by typing in your ZIP-4 code at

12. Chris Barr says:

Well, I’m driving back up to NC on Labor Day, so I hope I can make it! I’m in Panama City right now with some friends, some places are out of gas, but there’s still some places that have some. I’ll be worried in GA,it’s like $6/gal. there!