Online Music Services

I’m still LOVING my $10/month unlimited Rhapsody listening, especially now that they’ll let you put it on mobile devices. Who’s using what and how happy are you with it?

anyone?

12 Responses to Online Music Services

1. I’m looking hard at this right now…
    It seems like Yahoo!Music has got a great deal…$5 a month for unlimited streaming, $.79 to purchase, files encoded at 192kbps, downloading to devices, good catalogue of music… The only drawback I’m seeing is I can’t figure a way to get it to stream through my PocketPC or my Xbox (XBMC – connected to our main stereo, etc.). It doesn’t look like you have to install proprietary software, but playback seems to be driven by java.
    MusicNow seems to be good as well. More expensive ($10 a month/ $.99 downloads), lower quality (160kbps), but I can stream it to my PocketPC and Xbox. Both services have 98% of the artists I searched for.
    Based on what I could tell from the Rhapsody site, i would have to install some extra software and it looked like there would be little to now chance of streaming to PocketPC or Xbox.
    Streaming to PocketPC is important because I do a lot of work on it (typing dissertation) in the library (with WiFi…listening to music). Streaming to Xbox would be nice because any time I’m looking for some serious listening, I go to the big stereo. Or if wanted tunes throughout the house instead of just by my computer.

2. Stephen says:

Anybody know of a streaming music service that works on a mac??

Sarah and I spend $120/year on music subscriptions (1 Rhapsody account). I hate the idea of paying per track probably as much as you seem to hate the idea of not owning the music. If we were to buy all the stuff we wanted to hear, we’d be out WAY more than $10/month. And it’s not that you can’t buy the music so you own it (or at least can burn it), it just costs you per track (like the other services). Now that I’ve had my choice to listen to whatever I want whenever for a fixed rate, I’m hooked (unless the price rises significantly). People would JUMP at the idea of being able to watch whatever they wanted whenever they wanted on TV for a set monthly fee (it’s not far away…). That’s how I think of the music. I guess the question I have is why do I need to own it? What good does it to me? If I can listen to a huge collection anytime and transfer to (a limited number, currently) portable devices, that’s as good as owning it to me.

And, according to the RIAA, I don’t think you own the music when you buy the CD. 😀

BTW, what are we buying when we purchase a recorded media?

According to the RIAA? Probably the right to listen to the music on that medium…but that’s part of what’s been up for debate recently.

I’m glad that’s up for debate. I think it should be the right to listen to that music on any equal or lesser medium… So, if you own it on SACD, you have the right to put it on CD, or MP3 or even blue amberol (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Amberol_Records) (we have one of the player identical to the one in the picture). Now, if we could say that you own the right to listen to that music on ANY medium, that would be cool, but I know that’s not going to happen. What incentive would they have to releasing old music on new medium? Oh, and physical medium should be above any nonphysical (ie, MP3 would be considered the bottom of the totem pole…if you own it on anything, you have the right to have it on MP3, but having there only means you can transfer that to any medium you can manage).

Interesting (in response to comments about what you “own” when you buy a CD):
    Owning a CD means you own one copy of the music, and the U.S. record industry believes you should be able to make whatever personal use you choose. For example, you may make a compilation recording (on tape or on a CD) to use in the car or while exercising.

Taken From:

In regards to the “copy protected” CDs, I posted back in 2001 about that, but the link looks dead:

Here it is in the Way Back Machine:

9. Chris Barr says:

ew, music subscriptions? You don’t even own your music that way, it’s a very flawed model. As soon as you stop paying the monthly fee you can’t listen to any of your music.

10. Chris Barr says:

11. Chris Barr says:

Ever seen or heard of those great new CD’s that don’t allow you to import to your computer? Thats just plain stupid. I ONLY listen to my music on my computer or my iPod, I have never even inserted a CD into my car yet.