Infinite Grace?

Do you ever have those times when you realize that your theology no longer lines up with songs you used to sing? Songs you currrently sing?I was thinking this morning about the words to “Grace Greater Than Our Sin”. It references God’s “marvelous, infinite, matchless grace”. God’s grace is definitely marvelous and matchless (and sufficient for those who believe), but not infinite. Wouldn’t infinite grace require no justice?

This entry was posted in Religion. Bookmark the permalink.

0 Responses to Infinite Grace?

“Wouldn’t infinite grace require no justice?”- YesI find it humorous to sing hymns that are anthems of those who disagree with me, but agree with my theology more than theirs (e.g.-hymns that express the present reign of Christ; hymns that partiularize atonement).Perhaps we could modify the hymn: “marvelous, infinite [to those who are members of God’s covenant of grace in an ultimate sense], matchless grace”, but I suppose it’s a little more difficult to sing it that way. 🙂

I find it’s amazing how many people (myself included more often than I want) can sing praise songs to their Savior without even thinking about the words.

What? You mean you should think about what you believe?

4. I always too that as infinate grace to an individual, not blanket grace in all circumstances…

Maybe you’re right…the next line was “freely bestowed on all who believe”…so it could be taken that way. Still food for thought.

6. David says:

yeah, i was going to go along the same lines as joshua.It’s infinite to those who are the children of God. Sounds like the next line of the song covered that.I attend a church that – as a body – believes in reformed theology and the doctrines of grace, though each individual may not. We’ve sung the hymn “I have decided to follow Jesus” several times. Go figure. :)I agree that lots of popular things don’t necessarily line up with our theological views.

I guess that’s kind of like when I was a kid attending a southern baptist church, we sang “I believe, I believe…I believe in the will of God (yeah yeah)…because he made me believe.”

8. Dwight Ball says:

Someone should have straightened out Juliet Johnston the author of the hymn. I’m thinking maybe her father – the pas?tor of First Pres?by?ter?ian Church, Pe?or?ia, Illinois. If not him, then certainly the local presbytery should have kept a better eye on this woman who di?rect?ed the First Pres?by?terian Church Sun?day School for over 40 years. She was al?so the pres?i?dent of the Pres?by?ter?i?an Mis?sion?ary So?ci?e?ty of Pe?or?ia for 20 years, and wrote more than 500 hymns.

I’ll sideline my problems with justifying someone’s doctrine based on their length of service to a church and focus on the fact that I think everyone agrees that I posted in haste (perhaps I shouldn’t have quoted the hymn and only presented the idea of limited grace). I think the concensus is that, indeed, the hymn does handle the fact that the hymn does narrow the giving of the grace to “those who believe”