Google Secure Access

Looks like Google is securing web access at their first wifi hotspot (San Francisco) with a VPN client. More interesting to me is the “20% project time” their engineer had. Seems to support the concept that Google REALLY allows people to innovate at work

How many times can they make me shake my head in amazement

0 Responses to Google Secure Access

So, can you break that down and help it make sense for me please?

Google is encouraging encrypted wifi at their hotspot(s) (currently only one in San Francisco) by allowing users to create an encrypted tunnel to their VPN servers and then go out to the internet from there.

So, instead of just using WiFi as is, they are just using the wifi to securely connect to google’s server, which then acts as a go point to the rest of the web? Why is that a Google related thing? It’s just providing business people with a more sercure connection to their networks from wherever?

I stopped trying to understand Google’s motives long ago :-D.

So I guess Google gets to see all of your traffic.

Better than whoever is running a sniffer within range of an open wifi access point I think. There are LOTS of places between us and most servers that get to “see” our traffic (if they wanted to). Check email via HTTPS if you have a choice…don’t know why gmail doesn’t default to that.