AllofMP3.com

Preliminary research seems to indicate this is legal (maybe questionable). Hosted in Russia and taking advantage of some loopholes in their copyright law.

interesting

0 Responses to AllofMP3.com

1. Jeremy says:

I wonder if they’ll take advantage of some Russian loopholes by using your personal data in ways we don’t like.

I’ve read nothing but positive things regarding the provider they use for credit card processing and their business practices. I haven’t read much, but it’s been positive.

Too bad they don’t offer FLAC…

But they do offer all sorts of lossy encoding at high bit rates or direct WAV download…
    wow

NEvermind, they do have FLAC..and lots of lossless compressors.
    WOW

But by the time you pay for the transfer of lossless sized files, you’re up to $7ish per CD. You might as well go buy it used somewhere and actually have the original. But darn cool anyway.

Can someone summarize the concept for those of us too tired (and lazy) to figure it out?

You pay to download (pretty much any song you want, including the ones…some Beatles, etc….that aren’t available in the US). Price is based on how much you download. If you’re downloading mp3’s, it averages probably $2.50 per CD or so. They can offer this because of some loopholes in Russion copyright law. Technically, I think you’re buying the song in Russia and “exporting a file” to the U.S. I think it’s probably legal, but obviously created to circumvent the RIAA et. al. making the money they’re used to making. Brings up an interesting point. Is it ethical just because it’s legal? Is this a good time to “teach the RIAA a lesson and make them change their ways”?

“Is it ethical because it’s legal?”
    Not in every case. I’d like to think so in this one. I open to being convinced otherwise.

I haven’t thought much about it. Completely circumventing the established artist compensation process (even though they get next to nothing when all is said and done) seems unfair to them. If I were an artist I think I would be unhappy with this.

But I’m not.

I think I may consider using a service like this for artists I don’t like, but want to listen to their music. Folks I like and want to support, I’ll go buy their music new. I know, that’s inconsistent and nonsense. On the other side of the coin, I don’t think I would buy a used DVD-A or SACD at all right now. I want to purchase those outright in order to help the industry. There isn’t enough hi-res audio out there yet and I want to help change that with my $. And I’ve never seen a “Christian” artist in any hi-res medium beyong HDCD…and those are few and far between…not that my player can play that extra few kbs.
    Do artists get $ when I purchase a used CD? I don’t think so. So, if the argument is that the artist is not getting compensated, is purchasing used music circumventing that? I realize someone had to purchase it the first time, but when it comes to my $ spent, is there a difference?