How to Brand and Market your church

Stop it already. The gospel is offensive to first time hearers. I didn’t read the whole article, so I’ll take correction, but I’m guessing I know what it says.

0 Responses to How to Brand and Market your church

1. Jon Wright says:

I remember seeing a bumper sticker for Salem Chapel last Sunday. Isn’t that where you and Sarah are going now?

but I wouldn’t consider that a serious branding/marketing effort. I think it’s an attempt to get people to ask about it maybe. Salem Chapel does not change the message to promote the “brand”…it’s fine with our pastor if you don’t end up at our church, as long as you’re at a church that’s preaching the Word.

Here’s the kind of thing I’m talking about (from the article):
    Though the concepts of marketing and branding aren’t new for the largest Christian churches and faith-based organizations, Davis and others at the conference said Christian groups are often hesitant to use marketing and branding techniques to attract the public to their church or Christian organization.

“There’s a sense sometimes that it’s not appropriate, that the product sells itself,” said Van Dalton, partner at Affiliated Media. “But that’s not the case.”

4. Stephen says:

1 Cor 1: 17For Christ did not send me to baptize but to preach the gospel, and not with words of eloquent wisdom, lest the cross of Christ be emptied of its power.

21For since, in the wisdom of God, the world did not know God through wisdom, it pleased God through the folly of what we preach to save those who believe.

Keep reading thru vs 31 to see why worldy marketing of the gospel doesn’t make any spiritual sence and leads to sin (boasting in self).

5. Brad Roehrenbeck says:

shhhhhhhh….. (Stephen, all this talk about sin is going to make people leave. And quoting the Bible?! How boooooooooooooooorrrrrrrrrrring!)

From my experience, the Salem Chapel stickers have 2 main functions: Helping people find each others’ cars in unfamiliar locations and preventing aggressive driving.

7. Brad Roehrenbeck says:

ah yes. Auto-accountability. I have to admit the sticker has helped reform my driving habits considerably.