Allow me to be transparent

Know what I hate? It’s all the answers. All the right answers. That conflict with each other. From smart people. People smarter than me. It frustrates me to no end. Usually this would be in regard to theology (a topic that I can understand transcends our understanding), but this time it is about… … … babies. Becoming Baby-wise, The Baby Whisperer, and so on ad infinitum. Everyone has a plan…that works…the best. Sarah and I have been through books on the best plans before. Operant conditioning for dogs (Don’t Shoot the Dog), diets (The South Beach Diet). Argh. Not that I don’t think there are better ways of doing things than there were many (or just a few) years ago. It’s that, in this commercialistic society, whoever has the most marketing money gets in front of the most people and gets to be the “best”. I don’t have the whole system figured out yet, but I’ve got enough figured out to know that not all of the Number One New York Times Bestsellers have it all figured out. This is aside from all the (loving and mostly wanted) advice that friends are giving us. My favorite advice is: “It’s hard to mess them up” and “Do what works now…you can put them on a schedule later.” I’m done for now…going to go read some more in the right book and maybe find out about something else we’ve been doing wrong for 6 weeks.

This entry was posted in Journal and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to Allow me to be transparent

1. MOM says:

Isaac wants to do more than he’s able to, and he doesn’t sleep long stretches at a time to fill in for the frustrating awake times(hey…me either). Period. No books can tell you how to precisely handle it…but it will be over before you know it. Once he can grasp an object or jump in a jumper he’ll be a new boy. Sleep when you can.Love, Grandma D

2. Ben Strickland says:

I am thinking of banning Amanda from reading this site. You guys are scaring us!!! 😛

3. grk says:

Have you considered that little Isaac might have uromicitisis poisoning? Those books also tell of every minute possibility of your child and you being the start of the next plague. Just wondering. I too know nothing. Heck, my kid’s the size of a jellybean. What could I know? xo

4. Frankie says:

Ear plugs.I’m tellin’ ya!

5. Jen Woodyard Stevens says:

We had the same thing, everyone telling us what to do, what not to do, what would mess Benjamin up and spoil him so he would be impossible…SO!! Here is my advice—:)Take it with a grain of salt…we had to do what worked for us, every baby is different, so what worked for one won’t work for another. And so far, nothing we have done (letting him sleep with us from time to time, rocking him to sleep, etc.) has messed him up, he’s well adjusted, happy and normal. 🙂 Enjoy this time and the times to come, it DOES get easier and you WILL sleep again…I promise. 🙂

I have no advice. I know where you are at has to stink though.