What is required for Salvation?

OK…it’s time for all the believers on this site to speak up. I’m really interested in your input. Here’s the question:
What is required (beliefs/actions) for salvation?

Here’s the clarification:
1. I’m looking for things required from man’s point of view…not answers like “being elect” (although I agree).
2. I know most of the answers would be the same without understanding what I’m digging at…I want to know your thoughts from the following perspectives: a) What heresies/wrong beliefs can you hold as long as you hold to the “core beliefs” that make you a Christian? ie. Are there heresies that are so severe that they negate your correct beliefs? b) Are the core beliefs all that are really required?

This entry was posted in Religion. Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to What is required for Salvation?

Maybe the hardest question I’ve ever asked on this site?

2. Blake says:

Probably not the answer you are looking for, but when Jesus is asked (I’m paraphrasing), “What must someone do to be saved?” He says, “believe in Jesus”. I think if you believe in Jesus, you believe the things said in the Apostles Creed(Below). You can believe certain things about me like I am nice or mean, for instance, and still believe in me–even though I may not be either of those things.The core beliefs of the Creed are all that matter for salvation. Out of our beliefs, come our actions. Once Jesus came, our belief in Jesus was paramount to any action. What I am saying is, if you behave in a way that could be deemed heresy, you better examine your beliefs. It’s circular…Beliefs-Behaviors-Results.Apostles CreedI believe in God, the Father Almighty, the Creator of heaven and earth, and in Jesus Christ, His only Son, our Lord: Who was conceived of the Holy Spirit, born of the Virgin Mary, suffered under Pontius Pilate, was crucified, died, and was buried. He descended into hell. The third day He arose again from the dead. He ascended into heaven and sits at the right hand of God the Father Almighty, whence He shall come to judge the living and the dead. I believe in the Holy Spirit, the holy family of God, the communion of saints, the forgiveness of sins, the resurrection of the body, and life everlasting.

So are there heresies that can keep us from being Christians?What if I don’t believe in the inspiration of the Bible?What if I don’t believe in the Trinity?What if I don’t accept the doctrine of the elect?

4. Stephen says:

Romans 10:9: if you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.The first half of Romans describes that salvation is a gift to those who believe and is not earned. The gift is given to those who believe (have faith). The second half describes that those who do believe also fall into the predestined category as well as the faith proved in action category. I John 5:18 We know that everyone who has been born of God does not keep on sinning, but he who was born of God protects him, and the evil one does not touch him. Therefore, if you keep on sinning, you have no warrant to have full confidence in your salvationnot because you need to earn it, but because those who have faith are the same group whos faith works out in action though love. I think that you should never use grace as a ticket to go on sinning (Romans 6:1). If you are in sin and especially if you dont regret ityou should not have confidence in your salvationnot because youve lost it, but that you never had it. Its a healthy, Biblical fear that is put in place to bring about reconciliation to God. Now to the controversial part: Where is the point where Ive sinned too much to have confidence in salvation? I believe we dont know where that point is. Our job is to continually live out our faith to prove to ourselves that we are indeed elect. 2 Peter 1:10 Therefore, brothers, be all the more diligent to make your calling and election sure, for if you practice these qualities you will never fall.I think there is a theoretical point where we (the elect) would make shipwreck of our faith if we continued in sin, but God intercedes with judgment, i.e. sickness and even death to keep his elect from being condemned. Hell take the elect home before he lets them perish. 1 Corinthians 11: 32But when we are judged by the Lord, we are disciplined so that we may not be condemned along with the world. We cant change who is elect and who isnt. But the truth is our only way of Biblically knowing if we are indeed elect is to believe (have faith) and also to witness its fruit.

Yeah, the Bible doesn’t deal much with hypotheticals. My questions next would be: Why don’t you believe in the inspiration of the Bible? Why don’t you believe in the Trinity? And why do you claim faith and lordship in Jesus Christ who affirmed each of these?

6. Leslie says:

Though I believe the above posts are true indeed, being a Christian is more than just believing in a list of statements. Believing in the Gospel in its truest sense means having a RELATIONSHIP with the Trinity. Even Satan believes that Jesus is the son of God, etc. The key is that Satan does not have a love relationship with Him as we Christians do. I think the way that we pursue and respond to the Holy Spirit is the greatest indicator on how we are living out our faith.I don’t see how you can be a Christian and not believe the Word is true and inspiried. Where do you learn about who the God of Abraham is? If you don’t believe in the Trinity, then I think you might as well be Jewish or Muslim.The doctrine of the elect is debated among denominations continually. I’m not sure this is a “requirement”. I do believe that someone could be a Christian and not believe in predestination.

What about those who think they became Christians before they even learned much about the Word, let alone could understand the concepts of inspiration (or if we’re talking about verbal inspiration, plenary inspiration, etc.)?But, you’re hinting at where I am ending up on my answer to this question…When you’ve given Lordship to Christ, you must continue to work toward a coherent belief system with what has been revealed to you by the Spirit. The more that has been revealed to you, the more important it is that you’re believing the truth.If you come to a point where you’re not willing to accept new truths that have been revealed to you, and instead try to form the Word around what you want it to say, then you’re in a very dangerous spot indeed.This supports Leslie’s statement, “I think the way that we pursue and respond to the Holy Spirit is the greatest indicator on how we are living out our faith.”