Airport woes

I’m hesitant to call this fixed yet, but I’ve had a little bit of progress working through an airport problem I’ve been having.  Rather than re-iterate, I’ll link to the apple thread where people are chronicling their problems:

discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa

This has been infuriating (and an open issue for at least 6 months).  I have swapped out routers, changed every configuration I could think of, etc.

Finally, I forced my router into 802.11g only mode (instead of b/g or n) and it has been working for a few minutes at least.

This entry was posted in technology and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

0 Responses to Airport woes

I don’t remember when your machine came in, but it occurred to me that someone else I know with a MBP had to pay for a firmware update to make their Core2 Duo wireless-N capable. I also don’t remember if that’s something you did or had to do.If you didn’t and perhaps needed to, do you think there might have been something buggy with the auto-config of the protocol?Don’t mind me though, I’ll just set up a LAN.

One of the routers I’ve had supported N and one didn’t. The fix last night of enforcing G didn’t work completely…still having some strange issues.

3. Jeremy says:

You didn’t tell me your router supported 802.11n! I had a friend with a similar problem and ended up having to disable N-mode and only leave B/G enabled. It worked like a champ after that.

Awesome…I tried a fix that some people reported success with (replacing /System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext with an older version). I had no success.Now my mac says it couldn’t load the kernel extension and under the airport menu it says, “No AirPort card installed.”Even if I revert the .kext file to the old one that I backed up before I made any changes.Yes, even through a reboot.Yes, even through a safe-mode reboot.Yes, even after I clear my kernel extension cache.On the plus side, at least it doesn’t work 100% of the time now instead of frustratingly working 10% of the time (if that).Archive and install next probably.

5. Mark says:

I fixed my wireless issue by moving my router off the top of my CRT television.I guess the electron beam was creating interference or the heat was causing issues.No problems since I’ve moved the router. I actually have a BETTER signal now… go figure 🙂

Those of you with macs at home, humor me and (when you’re on wireless), ping your home router’s IP with the following command:sudo ping -a -i .25 192.168.0.1(where 192.168.0.1 is the router IP)That will create an audible sound for every ping request received and ping at a rate of 4 per second.1.Do you get a pretty sounding consistent “beep” for all your pings (about 4 per second)?2.After 30 seconds or so, what is your packet loss %?

7. Mark says:

is there a reason for the ‘sudo’ ?

8. Bryan says:

Signs your geekiness is limited to Windows/Linux: When you see this post title pop up in your RSS feed, you wonder where Derek is traveling to.

1. Yes2. 0%

you can’t ping with less than a 1 second interval without sudo.

I’m pretty consistent between 3 and 10% packet loss.awesome.

12. Mark says:

1. Yes2. 0%

What kind of encryption are you using? And if you’re using WPA/WPA2, are you using TKIP, AES or TKIP + AES?

Radio mode: 802.11n (802.11b/g compatible)

15. Mark says:

WPA Pre-Shared Key – TKIPKey Renewal: 3600 Seconds

WPA2 AES-CCMP

Interesting…for the past several hours of machine use, changing WPA from TKIP to AES has fixed my latency and packet loss problems…not that I’m holding out hope.

18. Mark says:

BTW, I’ve got my router in G-ONLY Mode (it’s not N capable)