We (the geeks in the office) have made a few attempts at getting a fishtank to work here. Not a desktop one, but a 100 gallon one. It worked great for a while, then something happened with the cover we had in it (we think) and it went downhill from there. There were many discussions and attempts to resuscitate it, but to no avail. The ugliness of the tank finally required us to give up.
Over the past three weeks, Jon and I have tried it again. Going through the chemistry class that is cycling a fishtank. We were on our way to a nice tank and added some fish last Thursday. Then, among the too high temperature, new fish added and substrate being stirred up, we started to get an algae bloom. Not knowing how much more ridicule we could take (being the “nerds that can’t keep a fishtank going”), we, in desperation and after much googling, cleaned the filters and put in some algaefix. Today the difference was amazing.